What is a Golden Visa?
It is a European directive, designed to attract foreign national wealth to EU nations. Golden Visa applicants receive full residency or citizenship in exchange for a defined economic contribution.
In volatile financial markets, Golden Visas are essential for optimizing a high net worth portfolio, as well as acting as an insurance policy against economic and political risks. They offer the holder enhanced global mobility, as well as the option to relocate to a more favorable jurisdiction (either now or in retirement) and access to all rights as a resident.
What Does It Include?
It includes the right to live, work, study and receive health care, normally unavailable to non-residents and tourists.
A Golden Visa provides investors and their families with access to new markets, as well as a range of career, education, tax and health opportunities. These opportunities, in turn, are available for future generations to benefit from. Typically, as a Golden Visa holder, you can:
- Secure an alternative safe haven;
- Expand and enrich your business and lifestyle opportunities;
- Access local health units;
- Access local educational institutions.
There is legislation in place regarding Golden Visas in over 100 countries across five continents, including over 60% of EU member states.
The Autonomous Region of Madeira, Portugal (RAM) has an excellent reputation, with a rich history, excellent quality of life and living culture, as well as stunning natural beauty.
Leilocasa works with you to help you find your dream property on Madeira Island and can also help with all the administration to make your dream come true and change it to Portugal.
• Initial investment, in line with current obligations;
• Clean Criminal Record Certificate from the country of origin;
• Proof of legal entry to the Madeira Island, Portugal;
• Proof of compliance with Portuguese tax and social security obligations;
• Commitment to maintain the investment on the Madeira Island for a minimum period of five years;
The visa will allow free access to the EU’s Schengen area.
Visa holders must spend a minimum of seven days in Madeira during the first year and 14 days for each subsequent 2-year period. After five years, Golden Visa holders can apply for permanent residency and after 6 years, an application for Portuguese citizenship can be submitted.
Changes to ARI/Golden Visa requirements
As of January 1, 2022, changes in Portuguese legislation regarding Golden Visas establish that no investment can be made in high-density areas of Portugal, except in Madeira Island and the Azores. This change in legislation aims to promote investment in lower density areas, creating fair opportunities throughout the country.
The minimum investment increased from 350,000 to 500,000 Euros and the Capital Transfer increased from 1 Million Euros to 1.5 Million Euros.
Applying for a Golden Visa in Madeira normally involves obtaining a Portuguese Bank Account and Tax Number (NIF), followed by the real estate investment transaction. After completing the investment/transfer of capital, the request for a Golden Visa is submitted to the Foreigners and Borders Service, followed by biometric marking.
Leilocasa is a leader in the Madeiran real estate market, with a professional and experienced team that can competently guide you throughout the process.
Located in the Centromar Shopping Centre Store 28, we can help you in the process of buying your dream home and complying with all legal requirements.
Obtaining a Golden Visa in Madeira is a unique opportunity for those looking for a safe investment and the opportunity to live, work and travel without restrictions! A dream come true.
Obtaining a residence permit with Golden Visa in Madeira has many advantages:
- Opportunity to live and work in Portugal;
- You can travel visa-free throughout the Schengen Area;
- Portugal is the 3rd safest country in the world;
- Investment options start at €250,000;
- The investment qualifies your immediate family;
- You can apply for Portuguese citizenship after 5 years;
- The Portuguese passport is the 5th strongest passport in the world with visa-free access to 191 countries.
You need to bear in mind that:
- Investment funds must be transferred from abroad;
- Investment activity must be maintained for at least 5 years from the moment the Golden Visa in Madeira is granted;
- Must not be a citizen of the EU or a member state of the Schengen Area;
- Must not have been convicted of any crime punishable in Portugal with more than 1 year in prison, nor be registered in the Portuguese or Schengen information system;
- The Madeira Golden Visa can be renewed for two periods of two years, and the applicant must stay in Portugal for seven consecutive or non-consecutive days during the first year and fourteen consecutive or non-consecutive days during the subsequent two-year period.
The Golden Visa in Madeira can be obtained through the following real estate investments:
- Acquisition of residential real estate – Minimum amount: €500,000
- Acquisition of real estate whose construction was completed at least 30 years ago, or located in an urban rehabilitation area, and execution of rehabilitation works on the acquired real estate – Minimum amount: €350,000
Only eligible in Madeira, Azores and interior of Portugal.
Mandatory online pre-registration is carried out on the ARI Portal, available here.
For more information you can contact us.
Alternatively, the following investment options are also eligible for obtaining a Golden Visa in Madeira:
|Type of investment||Minimum amount (€)|
|Creation of 10 jobs and registration of workers in Social Security||/|
|Capital transfer for the constitution or reinforcement of the share capital of a commercial company based in Portuguese territory, combined with the creation of five permanent jobs.||500.000|
|Effective transfer of capital to a Portuguese bank account of which the applicant is the sole or first holder||1.500.000|
|Capital transfer to be applied in research activities carried out by public or private scientific research institutions, integrated in the national scientific and technological system||500.000|
|Investment in artistic production or maintenance of Portuguese national cultural heritage||250.000|
|Acquisition of shares in investment funds or venture capital funds for the capitalization of Portuguese companies||500.000|
Contact Our Agents
Send us a message
Need help buying or selling a home? Get in touch with us. At LeiloCasa we ensure the entire process of buying, selling and brokering your property. We have customized financial solutions tailored to you!